Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Most Devastating Play

Another football related post? I'm sensing a theme here this week, could it have anything to do with a certain event on Sunday?

As a Giant's, Knicks, and now (since moving to Atlanta 15 years ago) Braves Fan, I'm used to my teams getting so close yet not quite being able to grab the golden ring. This excruciating form of fandom is weirdly satisfying in its own way as there is always the promise of future redemption.

Despite my history with the Yankees, (growing up watching The Goose, Reggie, Lou, and Thurman in the late 1970's and early 1980's, watching the embarrassment of the Great Mattingly surrounded by the likes of Bam Bam Muellens and Kevin Maas, and the redemption and dominance years of Jeter and the crew)I found them very easy to leave especially after they signed guys like Clemens and Randy Johnson.

With the Yankees, the meal was finished. But the Knicks, Braves, and the subject of this post, the Giants, always leave me hungry. Its common for sports fans to celebrate the spectacular. What Giant fan doesn't love to revel in the most incredible play in Superbowl History.

But being honest with myself, its the agony that keeps me coming back for the next meal. There is nothing more boring than being satisfied, and conversely nothing more motivating than coming so close and failing the first time.

In honor of that delicious agony, I present to you the most devastating play I ever witnessed as a Giant's fan.

Giant's Eagles, Dec. 4, 1989:
Late in the game with the Eagles pushed back to their 7 yard line, the score tied 17-17, Buddy Ryan keeps Cunningham on the field (an accomplished punter in college) on fourth down. From the back of the end zone, Cunningham blasted the ball 67 yards in the air. The ball skipped by Dave Meggett on the frozen turf of the Meadowlands to travel 91 yards in all. The longest punt in NFL history up to that time. Phil Simms fumbled two plays later, and the Eagles scored a touchdown and won the game.

Here is the best clip I could find:

No comments:

Post a Comment