Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Yoforia refuses 7 year old paying customer a glass of water

I am not all that into complaining and I think everyone has a right to run their business the way they see fit. I just also have a right to tell my neighbors when I think something’s not right.

Here’s the story. We went to Yoforia on North Highland Avenue tonight and paid just under $15 for three cups of frozen yogurt. As we were eating my 7 year old daughter got thirsty and we went to the counter to ask for a glass of water. I thought we could use the opportunity to help build her confidence in ordering by herself. My daughter quietly asked “May I please have a glass of water sir?” The very nice boy at the register (it’s not his fault) got a little nervous, stammered, and then turned to me and replied that he was sorry but the store policy was to only sell bottled water. Personally, I think bottled water is a waste of money and the bottles hurt the environment. I’ll buy it in a pinch, but I do resent being forced into it.

Rediscover Yogurt?  More like rediscover rudeness. 

So I politely said to the boy “I’m really not into buying bottled water and my 7 year old is thirsty?” He stammered a little bit and said “Well, um we don’t have cups.” There was a stack of paper ice cream cups right in front of him so I said “Well maybe since we didn’t know this new policy before we came in you could just give us some water in one of these ice cream cups.” He said, he really wanted to and he would check.



He took a cup back to the sink and through the crack in the door I could see him talking to the manager. He came back out and said “I’m sorry, I can’t give you a cup of water.” I looked around, they weren’t busy. I wasn’t holding anyone up.

I said “Seriously? Are you sure, I mean we’ve talked about it so much at this point I am going to have to tell everyone. It would be so much easier to just give us a cup of water. I just paid you $15 for 3 cups of ice cream.” The boy obviously wanted to give us the water but it was also clear he was afraid of the manager. I thought I could get him off the hook and asked him to ask her to come out and talk to me. About a minute later he returned and told me that wouldn’t come out to talk to me. All right then.

I understand that they are trying to get an extra $2 out of me for the water, that they have a business, and they have a right to do business in that manner if they want. I’d actually have no problem with them refusing me a cup of water if I didn’t buy anything. I don’t expect them to act as a charity. Still, in a community like Virginia Highlands/Morningside I guess I just expect a different sort of neighborliness. Your expectations may differ and their business choices might not bother you at all. By all means, I am not calling for a mass boycott of Yoforia, although we certainly will never shop there again. Just wanted to let you know not to stop by there if you anyone you’re with might be thirsty.

3 comments:

  1. Help the environment by not buying water? You bought 3 cups of yogurt made from cows that deplete the environment far worse then a bottle of water would. Not to mention the cup of water for the 7 year old is made from....TREES! Grow up and stop expecting so much of minimum wage staffers following orders. Have you never worked a food service job in your (assuming) very privileged life? What kind of lesson are you teaching the 7 year old? "If you complain enough honey, people will cater to you." That's some Andy Griffith stuff right there.


    I bet you drove to Yoforia as well. I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cerpin Taxt for pointing out that 1. it takes all types to make the world go round and 2. people I don't know actually read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to Yoforia in NC. We will take care of you. FREE YOGURT FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY(and water).

    ReplyDelete