Sunday, April 25, 2010

Music Monday's, Heavy Rotation for the Last Week

Trying something new for Music Monday. Instead a long list of out of context Tweets, I'm going to just go with a blog post of what's been in my heavy rotation for the last week. When available, I link to an MP3, but if none are available I leave a sample.


World Sick - Broken Social Scene This is the first freebie, teaser from BSS's new album released originally in February. I've listened to it about 20 times this past week. Check out this excellent post on the sublime and amazing Tsururadio about the song and the new album.

The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star. I am REALLY late to the whole Big Star phenomena. Like I think my entire lifetime has transpired between the year Alex Chilton released this song and I first heard it. Still, from my novice opinion, this is the best track off their best album.

If you think you need some lovin
- Pomplamoose. So what exactly is Pomplamoose? A jokey cover band, YouTube sensation? I think both those and more. This song (an original I think) is damn good.



Pay it Back - Elvis Costello An interesting music blog post on the always good For the Sake of the Song reintroduced me to this song. I obviously knew the song, but I'd never heard the Flip City Demo's version and it's catchey. In fact, I just listend to it again.

Jemilia - Caribou I knew Caribou from their near perfect 'Melody Day', but this is the first time I've been back to them since. Need, almost spookie little rift to start followed by song soaring moments in the middle.

It's too Late for Me - Peter Wolf and Merle Haggard. An astoundingly beautiful song that has a timeless quality. It sounds as though it could have been written 50 years ago but in an entirely unselfconcious way. Peter Wolf is best known as the lead singer of the J. Geils band, but is an industry fave to music folks. The always amazing Terri Gross actually turned me on to this song in her recent interview with Wolf which is also worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment